You probably can believe that awnings are just about as old as any human shelter. People learned long ago to use coverings of some sort to ward off the sun, rain and weather. Remarkably, the Coliseum in ancient Rome had a retractable large awning that circled the structure.
An awning today is a secondary covering that attaches to the exterior of a building, and usually extends or hangs from a wall. It usually is made from some sort of material that is stretched over a base frame. Some awnings are made from wood or a transparent material; some are made from aluminum both for the structure and the sheeting covering. Other awning materials include molded plastic, corrugated fiberglass panels, polycarbonate or Lexan clear panels and sometimes multiple layers of different materials.
With so many different needs to fill, it’s no wonder that there are so many custom awnings being built. Yes many customers want standard sizes and designs as those are typically less expensive and easier to get, but there are many instances where investing in a custom awning makes sense for the particular application – or maybe your building or home is just different than everyone else’s.
Uses for custom awnings
Awnings are typically placed above a window or door or above the area along a sidewalk. They are used for a variety of reasons including:
- Covering an entrance
- Expanding a dining or entertainment area
- To shade a window or door
- To brake steep winds
Custom awnings are one of a kind and made to order for a specific building or application. They expand and extend the value of an awning to any building or use. A few places we applications we typically build custom awnings for include:
- Kitchen vent hoods – it seems that interior designers are continually coming up with new and unique ways to showcase kitchen islands. Some of the most incredible products we’ve seen have been created specifically as vent hoods for kitchens.
- Historical buildings – when you are dealing with a historic building, it can be very hard to find “off the shelf” products that are appropriate for use during renovations or improvements. As such, we often get requests for custom awning products to go on these buildings as their design and shape often warrant the extra work.
- Unique structures – If you have a typical 2,500 square foot house with a standard double door entrance, there is a good chance you can find several great choices in standard sized awnings to choose from. But if you have a large home or one with a unique design, or a unique commercial building, there is a good chance you will need a product custom designed as the standard products just won’t fit.
Why we like copper for these products
Crescent City Copper chooses to make and distribute custom awnings for all applications from copper.
Why do we choose copper? The reasons are simple:
- It is exceptionally attractive and adds a touch of class and elegance to any building or facility.
- It adds a look that cannot be recreated with any other substance or fabric.
- Copper awnings are environmentally friendly. Not only are they attractive but they are long-lasting and durable. They are cost-effective and can last for hundreds of years with maintenance and upkeep.
- The natural patina that forms when copper is exposed to the elements not only adds beauty but protects the underlying metal.
If you would like to know more about the beauty and serviceability of custom copper awnings, contact Crescent City Copper at 877-251-5327.