Anytime you expose building materials to the elements outside, it usually diminishes their lifespan significantly. However, copper gutters hold up well against the elements and can last for decades, virtually maintenance free.
There are significant benefits to having copper gutters on your home other than just their aesthetic beauty. Those benefits include:
- Durability – Copper gutters are extremely durable and have the ability to withstand all types of climactic weather. They hold up well during hot summer temperatures over 100° and through the subzero weather of harsh winters.
- No Sagging – When properly installed, copper gutters will not fall off the home, or sag. When secured tightly against the home, they can last for decades.
- Maintenance Free – Other than you keeping the gutters free of any debris, the metal is virtually maintenance free. Creating a beautiful copper patina, instead of natural rust, the gutters will protect themselves for years.
- Optional Designs and Styles – As a malleable but durable metal, copper can be formed as a rounded or rectangular gutter. Additionally, many designs use an embossed stamp to accentuate the beauty of its design.
- A Natural Copper Patina – Manufacturers of copper gutters offer two different ways to allow the copper to go through the “patina process”. It can happen naturally, as the copper oxidizes on its own, and turns a beautiful blue-green. Alternatively, the patina process can be chemically accelerated and delivered to the site in its natural patina colors.
- Money-Saving Properties – Although the upfront cost of copper gutters can appear to be pricey, over time the savings from its durability and non-rusting properties will pay for itself. Homeowners will not need to replace their gutters as often when they are build out of copper, which can produce huge savings over time.
- Elegance and Sophistication – It is easy to add a level of sophistication and elegance to the outside of a home by installing copper gutters. As one of the long-lasting and strongest metals, copper offers a distinct style, and can significantly add value to your home.
Copper Gutters vs. Aluminum Gutters
In weighing out the pros and cons of copper gutters versus aluminum, copper offers significant advantages over aluminum. Copper gutters offer a higher level of decor and a more beautiful appearance in a product that is durable and can stand the test of time.
When added to the house with other decorative features, including copper planters, shutters, and downspouts, homeowners can add a decorative trim that is unmatched by any other type of available metal.